Friday, November 23, 2012

That Afternoon

So there I was, fixing my things after a long, hard day of work. I piled the kids' folders one by one as I gave an attempt to organize everything as best as I can. 

It was almost sunset when I was able to finish organizing everything.

"Excuse me, Ma'am. Good afternoon po," greeted a woman's voice from behind. I glanced to look. It was my student Farah* and her guardian.

"Yes, hello. Good afternoon po," I smiled.

"Ma'am, I would like to ask for permission from you if you can allow Angel* to be absent tomorrow on their P.E. day." I gave her a second look and peered at the child she was holding; It wasn't my student Angel, it was Farah.

Although skeptical, I replied, "Why is that so po?"

"You see, she has no P.E. uniform,"
"I'm sorry but I would not allow her to be absent for that reason alone," was my reply. I was beginning to be confused for one, she's stating that Farah's name was Angel. Two, her reason for Farah's absence was pretty shallow.

"It's not that I'm being inconsiderate here,but I'm really just concerned to the activities she will miss if she will be absent for that reason alone," I continued. "If you really insist, I won't restrain you po. I just want you to be aware of what she will miss if she'll be absent tomorrow."

Suddenly, her tone changed. "She has a heart problem! She cannot be present on her P.E. day!"

I was beginning to be more confused. "Uh.. just to let you know, it doesn't mean that she's wearing her P.E. uniform, she will also be running. We wear P.E. uniforms but we do not run nor do any strenuous activities for the children on that day. in fact, there are days that we JUST wear P.E. uniforms."

"THAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH YOU! YOU'RE SO INCONSIDERATE!!" she snarled at me.

I was getting more perplexed about the situation at hand.

"Huh? How was I being inconsiderate?" 

"Let's go Angel! Say goodbye to your favorite teacher!" she grabbed Farah and stormed away. My student, Farah even stuck her tongue out to me.

"Bantay lang na si Miss Ginete!" she muttered angrily as she left.

Speechless and dumbfounded, I watched her leave. 

Then behind me, I heard my colleage say, "You should inculcate values in your lesson so that your student would not have done that."

"Huh? But I always do that!" was my confused reply.

Suddenly, the hallway turned pitchblack. All I can see were my student and her guardian. The images then, began to swirl and move to the center like in a huge blackhole. Then in an infinitesimal second, I was in my bedroom.





No comments:

Post a Comment